You’ve probably gone to the dentist before. It’s a predictable experience. Even so, a refresher on things to expect at your dental checkup never hurt anyone. While each dentist’s office has their own quirks and habits, you can expect this same basic process. Keep reading to be prepared.
5 Things to Expect at Your Dental Checkup With Premier Dental Group
Our friendly staff will welcome you when you arrive. They’ll make sure you’re ready for your visit by verifying your contact info, health history updates, and your insurance information.
For an easy check-in, follow these tips:
- Answer health history questions as accurately as possible. This will help your dentist know what care is best to recommend. Make note of any allergies. Don’t worry – your private information is protected by health law and whatever you tell us remains private. It’s important that you give complete, honest information.
- Bring any medications you take (both over-the-counter and prescription).
- Have your insurance information ready when you check in. You’ll want us to file a claim on your behalf so you can avoid getting a surprise bill in the mail. If you have no insurance, tell us when you arrive. We can discuss ways for you to get the treatment you need.
We normally ask you for this info before each visit, so that our records are complete and your care can continue uninterrupted.
After check-in, one of our staff members will invite you to an exam room to begin your appointment. Here’s what to expect at that point:
You could need x-rays for one of three reasons:
- This is your first appointment with Premier Dental Group
- You haven’t seen a dentist within the past year
- Your visit is due to tooth pain
X-rays are a vital tool in oral health. They help us to see exactly what the problem is, how your teeth are being affected below the gum line, and to what extent the problem has progressed. Interested in early detection of potential problem? X-rays are for you. And never fear – modern technology makes them safe.
Your oral hygienist will do a complete exam to discover how healthy your teeth and gums are. This often includes:
- X-ray review
- Physical teeth/gums exam
- Tongue, jaw, and neck exam
While you’re in evaluation, any signs of gum disease, cavities, or other anomalies should turn up if they’re present. Many patients with oral cancer express gratitude that their dentist was able to spot signs before the disease progressed too far.
After evaluation, our dental hygienist will give you recommendations. You’ll learn about home oral hygiene products, techniques, and practices. Then, we’ll discuss the treatment you’ll receive during the rest of your visit.
Your evaluation will yield good information for your dentist to use during treatment. They’ll discuss problems, congratulate you on good health, and take plaque and tartar buildup from your teeth. In addition, they’ll floss and polish your teeth. A fluoride treatment usually completes your session.
Now’s your chance to ask any questions you have. If you have concerns or need advice, we’re here.
You’re done! Now it’s time to check out, pay (if necessary), and plan your next visit. Back to the front desk you go. This is a great opportunity to chat with our office staff about any financial questions. Insurance, out-of-pocket expenses, cash pay guidelines, and scheduling details take place now.
We recommend a visit two times each year – but you may have more or fewer visits depending on your overall oral health.
We hope this helps you know what things to expect at your dental checkup! A trip to the dentist isn’t high on anyone’s list of fun things. But with the right knowledge and expectations, you can approach your visit with confidence and anticipation. Your oral health is vital. We’re here to make sure you are well taken care of. Please feel free to contact us online or call the office at (865) 637-5708 during normal business hours. We’d love to help you!